Akropolis Performance Lab, Seattle’s premiere ensemble-based theatre company since 2000, is looking for youth ages 14 to 19 to form an Apprentice Ensemble. This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of building something completely new in Seattle!
The first youth performance opportunity of its kind in the region, APL’s Apprentice Ensemble develops the personal and professional performing skills of its young members through a year-long relationship with an established company.
We seek high school aged performers with a passion for thinking outside-the-box, as well as a sincere commitment to artistic exploration and an interest in ensemble development, learning advanced techniques, and creating original performances.
Youth from historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to audition.
No prior acting experience is required.
APPRENTICE COMMITMENTS WILL INCLUDE:
- Training Sessions: 2 Saturdays per month, 10:00 am to 1:15 pm, Sand Point location
- Physical: engage in a range of activities that not only tone the body and build endurance but also develop kinesthetic intelligence, physical creativity, and practical understanding of fundamental performance principles.
- Vocal: work with a broad spectrum of traditional songs to improve listening, expand range and resonance, explore harmonics, and establish vocal confidence
- Acting: practice individual and group studies in applying a method of physical action to the creation of actor-generated performance, focusing on given circumstances, task, intention, and action across a spectrum of performance styles.
- Regular opportunities to train and interact with APL’s main company
- Mentorship by an established APL Artistic Associate
- Performance of an original piece devised by the Apprentice Ensemble under direction of APL’s Artistic Directors (Spring 2016)
- Leadership opportunities in APL’s Summer 2016 Youth Workshops
ABOUT THE AUDITION:
The audition will be a 2-day workshop-style experience involving physical activities, work with song, and creative play with non-verbal action. No monologue or other preparation required.
- Dates – October 3 & 4 (attendance both days is required)
- Times – 12:00 – 3:00 pm
- Location – Sand Point area
- Dress – appropriately for physical movement
- Bring – water bottle, towel, healthy snack
- Prepare to sweat and work in bare feet