APL invites submissions of new plays for a developmental reading at our New Year New Play Sunday Salon in February.
This call is for new plays that have not yet had a developmental reading. While we are most interested in a full-length piece, we are open to other synergies and ask current or former PNW playwrights (emerging or established) to submit their long- or short-form plays for consideration.
The play(s) will be read by local actors at our February 11 Sunday Salon, and the reading will be followed by lively, lightly moderated discussion among the artists and intellectuals attending. There will not be a rehearsal, but APL’s artistic directors will provide guidance to the actors for their preparation, as needed. We also will confer with the playwright both before and after the reading, provide limited dramaturgical assistance, and offer the playwright the opportunity to frame questions for the discussion.
This Salon will be an invited event focused on bringing an optimal mix of people into the space to focus on your play. Although we cannot offer a stipend or travel funds, we promise a rich and productive experience for the playwright. And, as with all APL Salons, the gathering includes great community, food, and drinks.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: Sunday, December 10, 2017.
NOTIFICATIONS: January 14, 2018. Please note that our selection committee provides feedback to all playwrights about their submissions. We view this as a service to fellow artists in the future evolution of their work, regardless of whether it has been selected for our Salon. If you prefer not to receive any feedback from our selection committee, please indicate this on your cover sheet.
- Send PDF or DOC files to email@example.com, and write “Submission: [Title]” in the subject line.
- Along with the complete script, submit a cover sheet with your full contact information, short bio, brief synopsis of script, development history (as applicable), character breakdown, a brief statement of your hopes for how this reading might help further the play’s development, and indication of your feedback preference.
- NO FEE.
PREVIOUS NEW PLAY DEVELOPMENT SALONS:
- Jan 2017: New Year New Play Salon selection, Black Jesus by Tré Calhoun and John Keegan
- Jan 2016: New Year New Play Salon selection, No One on Board Took Notice by Tommer Peterson
- Jul 2015: Sunday Salon, The Sound in the Next Room by John Longenbaugh
- Mar 2015: Sunday Salon, The Plague by Maurine Heberden (adapted from Camus)
- Jan 2015: New Year New Play Salon selection, The Pleasure & Sorrow of Your Company by Stacy Flood
- Jan 2014: Inaugural New Year New Play Salon selection, Fangs by Jim Moran, went on to receive a full production by Eclectic Theater, Nov 13 – Dec 6, 2014.